Independent Study

What are the requirements to take an independent study?

  • Student must be a CLJ Major or Minor
  • Overall GPA of 3.5/4.0 and a CLJ GPA of 3.0/4.0
  • Have completed CLJ 200, CLJ210, CLJ220, CLJ240, CLJ261, CLJ262 and one of the following: CLJ 345, CLJ 350, CLJ 355

How do I arrange an Independent study?

An Independent Study for CLJ 399 credit is supervised by a member of the CLJ faculty who has agreed to act as your faculty sponsor. To find a faculty sponsor, meet with CLJ faculty members to talk about your research interests and/or whether you might assist on their research projects. The faculty sponsor needs to approve of your “work plan” and the number of credits (2- 8) for which you wish to register. Once this is done have the faculty member complete the Independent Study Agreement form. This form can be found online at the “Forms” tab. After the form is complete, meet with the Social Science Advisor, who will enter an approval code permitting you to enroll. Note: you must register yourself for CLJ 399; the Social Science Advisor only enters a permission to enroll, but not the actual registration into the course.

Can I use CLJ 399 (Independent study) to meet major requirements?

Yes, up to 3 credits of CLJ 399 may be used toward major requirements. CLJ 399 can be used as ONE of the “3 elective courses at the 300 or 400 level.

How many total hours of CLJ 399 will be accepted for college credit?

The college will accept a total of 8 COMBINED CLJ 399 and CLJ 395 hours toward your UIC degree.

By when do I have to have paperwork completed in order to have my independent study processed?

Have the Independent Study Agreement completed and submitted to the Social Science Advisor by the end of the 8th day of the semester.

Can CLJ 399 be taken Pass/Fail?

CLJ 399 must be taken for a letter grade, unless it will not count toward completion of CLJ major or minor degree requirements.