FAQ Internships

What are the requirements to take an internship?

Junior or senior standing, completion of five CLJ courses, and an overall GPA of 2.5/4.0.


How many hours per week are required to do an internship?

Interns are required to work a minimum of 8 hours per week for 15 weeks during Fall or Spring Semester. This is equivalent to 120 hours per semester. Students planning on enrolling for an internship during the summer should make sure to schedule approximately 15 hours per week for 8 weeks (during Summer Session II). This is also equivalent to 120 hours. Note: some internships may require interns to surpass the CLJ minimum hour requirement. If so, the student must abide by the internship agency’s requirement.


Can I use CLJ 395 (Internship) to meet major requirements?

Yes, up to 3 credits of CLJ 395 may be used toward major requirements. CLJ 395 can be used as ONE of the "3 elective courses at the 300 or 400 level."

How do I get an internship?

  • Meet with a faculty mentor, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, or Social Science Advisor to discuss your interests and the internship search
  • Prepare a cover letter and resume; assistance can be found here:http://www.las.uic.edu/students/current-undergraduate/las-internship/for-students/getting-started
  • Identify, contact, and meet with an agency providing internship opportunities
  • Treat your meeting with an agency as a job opportunity and dress accordingly
  • Once accepted, have the Student-Agency Agreement completed by the Agency, formalizing the internship offer.
  • Secure formal CLJ faculty sponsorship; see CLJ 395 course listing for sponsoring faculty
  • Submit completed paper work to the Social Science Advisor (Internship application forms are on the CLJ website)
  • Register for CLJ 395. The Social Science Advisor cannot register you for CLJ 395. You must register yourself after your permission code has been entered into the system.

How can I register for an Internship?

After all three forms have been filled out and signed, contact the CLJ Social Science Advisor on the 8th floor of University Hall in order to get permission to enroll in CLJ 395. Search for the required forms at the "Forms" tab.


When should I start to plan for an internship?

Start planning the semester before you will be enrolled in the internship.

By when do I have to have paperwork completed in order to have my internship processed?

Have your forms completed and submitted to the Social Science Advisor by the end of the 8th day of the semester.