Criminology, Law, and Justice
Building & Room:
- Gurusami, Susila and Rahim Kurwa (2021). “From Broken Windows to Broken Homes: Homebreaking as Racialized and Gendered Poverty Governance.” Feminist Formations 33, no. 1 (2021): 1-32.
- Kurwa, Rahim. 2020. “Opposing and Policing Racial Integration: Evidence from the Housing Choice Voucher Program.” Du Bois Review.
- Kurwa, Rahim. 2020. “The New ‘Man in the House’ Rules: How the Regulation of Housing Vouchers turns Personal Bonds into Eviction Liabilities” Housing Policy Debate.
- Kurwa, Rahim. 2019. “Building the Digitally Gated Community: The Case of Nextdoor.” Surveillance & Society 17, no. 1/2: 111-117.
- Kurwa, Rahim. 2015. “Deconcentration without integration: Examining the social outcomes of housing choice voucher movement in Los Angeles County.” City & Community 14, no. 4 (2015): 364-391.
- Review of François Bonnet’s “The Upper Limit: How Low Wage Work Defines Punishment and Welfare” Contemporary Sociology
- Segregatory Consequences of the Carceral State. Housing Justice in Unequal Cities Conference Open-Access Volume.
- Policing’s Role in Racial Segregation: 50 Years After the Fair Housing Act. Los Angeles Social Science Forum
- Nextdoor in Context. Blink
- Study Examines “Man in the House” Rules in the Voucher Program. National Low Income Housing Coalition
- Opinion: How white people used police to make L.A. one of the most segregated cities in America. Matthew Fleischer, Los Angeles Times
- Think racial segregation is over? Here’s how the police still enforce it. Nikita Lalwani and Mitchell Johnston, Washington Post
- On Nextdoor, the Homeless Are the Enemy. Rick Paulas, OneZero.
- Same city, different opportunities: Study maps life outcomes for children from Chicago neighborhoods. Cecilia Reyes and Joe Mahr, Chicago Tribune.
- Northwestern Journal of Law and Social Policy 2021 Symposium – Radical Reimagining: The Carceral State and Abolitionist Responses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVzXkgh9lE0
2021, Visiting Scholar, American Bar Foundation
2021, Honoring Our Professor's Excellence (HOPE), University of Illinois CHicago On-Campus Housing
2019, Early Career researcher Award, Surveillance Studies Network