faq Heading link
What are the requirements to take an internship?
Students must have junior or senior standing, have completed 5 out of 11 core CLJ courses, and have an overall GPA of 2.5/4.0.
How many hours per week are required to do an internship?
Interns are required to work a minimum of 12 hours per week for 15 weeks during Fall or Spring Semester. This is equivalent to 180 hours per semester. Students planning on enrolling for an internship during the summer should make sure to schedule approximately 22.5 hours per week for 8 weeks (during Summer Session II). This is also equivalent to 180 hours.
Can I use CLJ 395 (Internship) to meet major requirements?
Yes, up to 3 credits of CLJ 395 may be used toward major requirements. CLJ 395 can be used as ONE of the “3 elective courses at the 300 or 400 level.”
How do I get an internship?
- Meet with a faculty mentor, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, or Social Science Advisor to discuss your interests and the internship search
- Prepare a cover letter and resume; assistance can be found here:http://www.las.uic.edu/students/current-undergraduate/las-internship/for-students/getting-started
- Identify, contact, and meet with an agency providing internship opportunities
- Treat your meeting with an agency as a job opportunity and dress accordingly
- Once accepted, have the Student-Agency Agreement completed by the Agency, formalizing the internship offer.
- Secure formal CLJ faculty sponsorship; see CLJ 395 course listing for sponsoring faculty
- Submit completed paper work to the Social Science Advisor (Internship application forms are on the CLJ website)
- Register for CLJ 395. The Social Science Advisor cannot register you for CLJ 395. You must register yourself after your permission code has been entered into the system.
How can I register for an Internship?
After all the forms have been completed you can get permission to enroll from the Social Science Advisor on the 3rd floor of University Hall, or from the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the CLJ Department. See the “Resource” page for forms.
When should I start to plan for an internship?
Start planning the semester before you will be enrolled in the internship.
By when do I have to have paperwork completed in order to have my internship processed?
Have your forms completed and submitted to the Social Science Advisor or Director of Undergraduate Studies by the end of the 8th day of the semester.